Ian

Ian

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Fun and Games

Dear Ian,

We've hit another milestone around here...  You are finally old enough (and have the cognitive ability and attention span) for board games!  I'm not talking Chess or the like, but we have recently introduced the game Candy Land into your life. 

When I was young, I absolutely LOVED this game.  I loved the colors, the fun pictures of treats and spending time playing with my family.  You seem to have the same infatuation, and I love the look on your face when you pull your favorite card or make it to the castle first. 

I have to admit, though, that we've now played this game about 20 times since it's introduction, and I may be tiring of it a bit.  Call it a blood-sugar overload or something.  You still have tons of energy and affection for the game, and ask us to play with you over and over.  Of course I give in and play, and it just makes your day.  It sorta makes it hard on me to get anything done, since I'm playing board games with you, but I remind myself over and over again that this is good for you.

Through this game, you're learning turn taking skills, sportsmanship, and patience.  You're also practicing your color recognition and map reading skills, as you have to follow a set path.  And on top of all that, it's actually just a lot of fun to have nothing better to do that sit down and play a game with you. 

I have noticed something, though.  Back in the day, my version of Candy Land looked so plain compared to your 2012 version.  Yours is a bit more frenetic looking, and I wonder if that sensory overload is what tires me out.  There's just SO MUCH to look at on the board!  For example:
Here's the 1980's, or Mommy's version, of Candy Land.  It features lots of open, white space between illustrations, nothing too cluttered and a clean look.  This is how I remember Candy Land.  And I absolutely loved it. 

Conversely, here is your 2012 version of Candy Land:
 Holy Crayola explosion, Bat Man.  I know the photo isn't the best, but even with poor quality, I think you can see the difference.  There's not one empty space on the board.  The whole thing is just inundated with color and images.  It makes me hyper-active just looking at it. 

Now, I didn't mean to turn this post into a lesson on juxtaposition between board games from the 80's and now.  I meant to just show how you've grown up even more enough to play somewhat complex games with Daddy and me.  But the glaring difference between the two does make me sorta wonder about today's youth.  I am making it my goal to find my old copy and let you experience a visually "slower" version of your newest favorite game.  I think your enjoyment has more to do with the fact that we all play together than the actual appearance of the game.

And we are loving playing with you, too, Little Bear.  No matter if it's the 100th time we've pulled the cupcake card and had to go all the way back to the beginning, we're spending time with you, and that is so incredibly special to your Daddy and me.  However, to keep us from going into a diabetic coma, we plan to introduce the game Memory this weekend. 

You're our Sweetie!
Mommy and Daddy

Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for using my photo of my wife's Candyland bead art piece..
    Can you please put a link with the candyland picture.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dembicer/126630489/
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete