Ian

Ian

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankfulness...

Dear Ian,

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and while this time of year usually fills me with warm, fuzzy feelings, having you around adds so much to those feelings.  Now, on top of the warm-fuzzies, I have this feeling of being significantly humbled by just how fortunate and blessed I am.

This year, I'm going to do something a little different and actually have a Top Ten list of the Things For Which I am Thankful.  Here we go...

10.  I'm completely fortunate that you are a good napper and give me the opportunity to write down the things for which I am thankful.

9.  Our life is blessed because of the friends we have.  We are lucky people to have so many that we can call on to play with, eat with, borrow from, cry on, and laugh with, and for them, I am totally appreciative.

8.  I am so incredibly thankful for the basic necessities that we have that sometimes we take for granted.  We have a cute, roomy home in which we can live and grow.  It's warm in the winter and cool in the summer, and dusty all year 'round, but it's OUR house, and we make it the way we like it. 

7.  I'm thankful for the fact that we go to bed with full tummies, and that we have enough food that we can occasionally be picky eaters.  There are so many that don't have this luxury, and I hope to instill in you the quality of generosity.  We will be helping with Second Harvest again this year, because I want to make sure that you know there are people that aren't as fortunate as us.

6.  I am thankful for your wonderful little school, your friends and the amazing teachers and support grown-ups that help shape the school, because they are also shaping you.  We again had the luxury of being picky about where you attend and the fact that I was able to stay home with you until your second year, and for that I am thankful, too.  But Advent and it's staff is just another blessing in our lives.  We're so lucky to have found them.

5.  I am so thankful that I was able to find a teaching position at your school as well.  What a lucky turn that was!  No, not lucky.  What an amazing blessing!  The fact that I was able to find a job during this tough time in our country, and the fact that it's at the same school you attend was far too perfect to just be coincidence.  Mommy's prayers were quite literally answered, and I can't begin to mention how many times I've thanked God for the opportunity.

 4.  I am thankful for your grandparents and aunts and uncles.  They provide you with limitless love, and they are always there when we need them.  I'm glad we are all close, both in distance and in relationship, although sometimes it makes holidays a little nutty.  Trying to make sure we spend time with everyone can feel like the Holiday Olympics, but it's a problem I am thrilled to have since some families aren't always that lucky.

3.  I am grateful everyday for the wonderful man that is your Daddy.  Our 10 year wedding anniversary is swiftly approaching, we've been together for 16 years, but I love him more and more every day.  He works hard for our family and for himself (he's very driven), and due to his hard work and diligence, he's able to support us and provide for us.  I'm also very thankful that the economy hasn't been too terribly hard on his business, and I'm appreciative for the new people the company has been able to hire to help lighten his load. 

2.  Also about your Daddy, I'm the most thankful for his patience with you and me.  He's calm when I'm nuts, he's reassuring when you're timid, and he's the foundation for our little family.  He also is just wonderfully kind.  And due to my blood-sugar and occasional lack of will-power, he's dealt with me inflating and deflating more times than a Macy's Day Parade balloon, but still tells me I'm beautiful.  Now that is love, little son, and you remember that.

1. The reason for this blog post, and this blog in general, is you, and for you I am so incredibly thankful.  I cant even begin to tell you how much we prayed for you and fought for you, and the fact that you're here and part of our family still takes my breath away.  I will be honest and say that there are still days when I stop, open-mouthed and think to myself, "I have a son!"  Your smile, laugh, 15-minute-long nonsense conversations and hugs are the sunshine to my day.  I'm such a lucky Mommy. 

I hope that your heart is full and happy, just like your tummy will be tomorrow,

Love always,
Mommy
Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment