Although I'm your mommy, and we spend practically every waking moment together, I don't know that we have been properly introduced. Some days it's also hard to remember that I am an independent person separate from you. I have a tendency to forget about me, since I focus so much on your needs and happiness. It's important for mommies to remember their individuality. Some mommies continue working, and that helps them set themselves apart from being lumped into the "my-name-is-so-and-so-and-this-is-my-child" thing. Some mommies develop new hobbies or delve back into old ones to keep their sense of self. I have to admit, I catch myself sometimes when it seems like you are my sole purpose of existence, and I have to remind me that I am me first. Don't take that the wrong way; you complete our family, you are part of me and I would feel such a hole in my heart if I didn't have you. It's hard to explain, but Mommy needs to take care of Mommy in order to be a good Mommy. Does that make sense? No? Well, maybe when you are older it will...
Anyway, I wanted to make a list of things about me that you may not know, may possibly learn on your own or maybe not know at all. It will also be a way of helping me remember me, too. Here goes:
1. As I write this I am 31 years old, and typically I don't feel this old. There are days when I feel younger, and there are days when I feel much older.
2. I have done quite a bit in those 31 years that I never thought I would experience. I have traveled to foreign countries, eaten weird foods and met the man of my dreams, your Daddy. I'm going to try to create a list of 31 things about me; one thing for every year...
3. I am terribly obsessive/compulsive, and I am a rule follower; I think things should go in a particular order.
4. Tardiness and being interrupted are my pet peeves. I am never late, but I, too, sometimes interrupt, and that's something I need to work on.
5. I love to wrap presents.
6. I love to buy presents for people. Surprises make me happy. But not surprises to the order of things...
7. My favorite colors are red and blue. (you seem to like them, too.)
8. I have major fear of spiders, lightning and heights.
9. Roller coasters scare the bejeesus out of me.
10. I am a major control freak, and that's probably why roller coasters scare me. That and flying. Maybe if I was a pilot I could get a grip on that fear.
11. I love to read. When I was growing up, 99 percent of the time, my nose was in a book. This is still true today, but with a smaller percentage of time.
12. I wanted to be a pediatric surgeon when I grew up, but instead I became a teacher. Medicine still fascinates me.
13. I love random trivia. I am a font of random knowledge.
14. I am terrible at math. Please ask your father for any help with this subject. He had to tutor me.
15. I love horses, new crayons, and for some reason, going to Office Depot. I think it's all that potential for organization.
16. I hate doing laundry.
17. I can play the french horn and the piano (so can Daddy)
18. I am a former national champion baton twirler. I coach new twirlers now.
19. I can juggle.
20. I met your Daddy when I was 13 years old. We started dating when I was 16, and we got married when I was 23. We have known each other and been together for a LONG time.
21. I have little patience for people who don't exhibit common sense. Thankfully, though, I have more patience for children than I do adults. So get it together before you reach adulthood, ok?
22. I can bait my own hook.
23. I can handle the sight of blood, vomit and poo, but DO NOT show me a wiggling tooth. Once it comes out, I am ok with it bleeding, even profusely, but I can not handle wiggling teeth.
24. I love to learn. Anything and everything I can get my hands on. Except Math.
25. My favorite household chore is mowing and edging the lawn. I don't like to weed-eat though.
26. Cajun food, a good steak and ice cream are among my favorite things to eat. Well, really I love most foods.
27. My weight as of my 18th year has been a constant issue. I was 18 when my blood sugar decided to get a life of it's own.
28. I sometimes worry too much. That's a bi-product of the OCD, I'm sure.
29. Tulips and roses are my favorite flowers. Carnations remind me of funerals, so I am not fond of them.
30. When I was working, my work space was always neat and organized. I couldn't function if things were not in their places. Our house, however...
31. I would use the word "dependable" to describe myself. In all aspects of my life. I was a good, efficient employee, I am a trusted friend to those who know me, I am a loving and faithful wife, and I will be there for you.
So there I am, I guess, in 31 sentences or sentence fragments. There's much more about me that you will get to learn and discover. And though I started this post to remind me of myself, it's all of those things that make me your Mom.
I love you,