Ian

Ian

Monday, October 17, 2011

It's in the Bag

Dear Ian,

Mommy has never really been much of a girly-girl, and when it comes to purses, as long as the bag holds the stuff I need, I'm good.  I'm not one to have a bunch of fashionable bags, and when it comes to name brands, I am as clueless as a man.  In high school and college, my backpack's front pocket served me well.  All I needed was my wallet and my keys, and maybe a brush.  I'm a no muss, no fuss sort of girl.  When I started my professional career, it was around the time of cell-phone popularity, so ok, there's one more thing that I needed to carry around.  And since I was supposed to be a grown up, I invested in my first purse.  It was tiny; about four inches of carrying capacity, but it was all I needed.  I liked having my hands free to talk (we're Sicilian), hold Daddy's hand or ward off crazy people.  Being strapped down by a weighty handbag really didn't appeal to me.

But, as your Daddy said the other night, "Oh, how the mighty have fallen."  Actually I corrected him and said it was more like, "Oh, how the Mommy has fallen," because now that I have you, I find myself wielding a bag that could make Wal-mart's inventory jealous.

Let me back up and explain that last paragraph.  The other night Daddy and I went out to dinner just the two of us, and we made it special by dressing up a bit.  I wrapped up my look by switching bags from the Mommy Satchel that I carry from day to day to a little black purse that was my typical stand by back in my Pre-Ian days.  All that it held was all that I needed, both for our dinner date and for my previous life: wallet, keys, phone and believe it or not, lipstick.  (Mommy can be a girl every now and then.)  It was such a weird moment, and I'm still trying to figure out why.  My purse felt so light, and I totally felt like I was standing straighter.  But I sorta felt exposed, too.  My carry-all that carries all is part of me now, and without it, I felt like something was missing.

It was a good change, though.  I could actually find everything I needed!  It was right there at my fingertips in a purse that was only four inches deep!  But it seemed empty and lonely without the bits and pieces of you and our life that I now carry around.

This afternoon, while you were napping, I took a moment and dumped the contents of the Mommy Bag, and took a step back at all of the crap I am hauling around.  No wonder I needed chiropractic care...
Lord A-mighty...

So let's see here:  In that mess we have a Parenting magazine, my wallet, a toddler water bottle, my lady care zippy bag, a lolly pop that you dropped in the car that I re-wrapped so that way I could throw it away at home (see where it is still...), an empty wipes holder (need to rectify the empty part), two gently used (most likely by you) tissues, a pack of new tissues, a change of pants and undies for you in a ziploc, a board book, a paper back Caillou book, Lovey, a sippy with orange juice in it, a granola bar, your bug bite bag (benadryl, prednisolone, bug spray and tylenol in there) two pens, two hairbrushes, a garnet ribbon, one hairband, a straw, a juice box holder, a toddler fork, a measuring tape and my keys.  There is one more item in there, but I don't want to get into a debate about it, but let's just say that people should not sneak up on this diaper-bag-totin' Mama.

I need to mention that nothing was added to or subtracted from the mess that was inside that bag.  And I have to say that it's sort of wild to see just how much crap I lug around in the name of preparedness.  I think I may need an intervention; the inside of my purse is starting to look like an episode of Hoarders on tv.  I'll need to explain that reference to you one day.  But for now, I need to clean out my purse.

Love you always,
Mommy

Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment