Ian

Ian

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Daddy Worship on Mother's Day?

Dear Ian,

This past Sunday was Mother's Day, and I was looking forward to a day of pampering from Daddy, kisses from you and lots of sweet family time.


You and Daddy on Mother's Day last year
And yes, there was pampering, and there were kisses, but it was all for Daddy!  I spend the first few hours of Mother's Day driving home from Savannah (my twirlers had a competition, and the late night kept me from getting home on Saturday), and I couldn't wait to get home and see you and your Daddy.  I thought that since you hadnt seen me in about 36 hours that you would be thrilled to have me home.  Sadly, I think you must have forgotten who I was; you wouldn't leave Daddy's side.  Ah well.  I'm used to it.  Daddy holds rock-star status around here, and all that awesome Daddy Time that you had on Saturday really must have made an impression.  This poor Mommy just can't compete with Daddy Time. 

I'll admit, I was a little sad at first, but you did eventually remember that I am your Mommy, that person that gave you life, feeds and diapers your little hiney and makes sure all Loveys are washed and accessable.  And we had a nice afternoon of playing around the house, capped off by a yummy dinner and margaritas at Calico Jacks.  You even "paid."  You have this thing now of carrying around one of my old business card holders as a wallet, and I stock it with pilfered hotel keys for your "credit cards."  You just had to pay the lady for my meal.  It was sweet.  You and Daddy also made me a card, and it just made my day.  I love it, and of course it's going to straight in my box of things to keep forever. 











But back to that Daddy worship.  Your Daddy is probably your most favorite person on the planet.  As soon as you get up you are calling for him, and every time the phone rings you ask if it's him.  "Daddy?"  You stand at the door when you are mad at me and cry for him, (he didnt know that until now, so you better not capitalize on that, got it?) and you light up like a firework when he walks in the door at the end of the day.  Mama is a distant memory when Daddy is around.  I have recently taught you "where Daddy is" to hep stave off a few of the zillion "Daddy?" inquiries that I face throughout the day.  I now turn those questions back on you.  You'll look up at me with those big blue eyes and ask as if your heart is broken, "Daddy?"  As a response, I will ask you where Daddy is, and you will promptly respond, "Wook," your little-man version of the word "work."  It seems to help, but I am still reassuring you that Daddy still exsists, just in a different location, about a hundred thousand times a day.

Ok, so maybe a little TOO
much Mommy Time

That being said, I have noticed that I show up on your radar occasionally, and that you are paying attention when I do and say things.  We spend a lot of time together, and I know this is why I blend in while Daddy glows like a beacon.  I am just there - your ever-present safety net and comfortable back drop.  But I know you love me and sometimes I think you even want to be like me.  For example, you love to copy what I am doing, from stirring something in a pot to putting shaving cream on your legs.  You love to help me do all of my chores, and every time I turn around, you are right behind me.  Unless you're off doing something you probably arent supposed to be doing.  You show me you love me by climbing up in my lap with a lovey when you're tired or bringing me a book and plopping in my lap.  You show me you love me by freaking out when I change location without you noticing, and in general, you show me that you love me by just being you.  You can explore and be confident and do all of those little Ian things because you know that I am there for you and that you are confident in my ability to do my Mommy job. 

There are no awards for being a Mommy.  No trophies for "best diaper changer" or medals for "surviving a solid week of bleeding nipples"  (Sorry, that will embarrass the pants off you someday, but hey, I had to live it, thank you very much) exsist for Moms, but when we see our little babies becoming independent, thriving little people, we wear those moments like Miss America banners.  Mommyhood is a tough, yet rewarding job, but when I see you growing up confident and capable, that's the best Mother's Day gift I could possibly receive.

But next year, I do think I want a "Miss Mommy of America" banner.

Smooches Baby Bear,

Mommy 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, that picture of Ian in your bra is too funny! Glad kylin's not the only one :)

    ReplyDelete